Sunday, September 16, 2012

Back in Rome

English


Yes, I'm back in Rome! Took TrenItalia from Castelplanio-Cupramontana to Rome Termini with Josh, Anderson and Phil. We arrived in Rome around noon. Phil went off to get his ticket to his next destination, Josh and Anderson went for apartment hunting where their friends are staying. Whereas, I went to check where in termini the Terravision bus park. I am taking this bus tomorrow from termini to Ciampino Airport. It's the easiest and cheapest way to travel to both airports in Rome from termini.

Anyway, since I'm in Rome for a day, I too booked a hostel. In my previous visits to Rome, I usually stayed in Alessandro Downtown Hostel. Since I tried to book a night before my departure to Rome, Alessandro was full. So I booked Freedom Travelers Hostel instead. I guess both are almost the same except FT offers a light snack in the morning for free (who does not want a free cappuccino in the morning? hehehe).
Once I checked-in into the hostel, I then decide to take a walk around Rome, 'la città del romanticismo.'

My first destination was the Fontana del Tritone. It's located in the Barberini Square (Piazza Barberini). And fyi, the Embassy of the US to Italy in Rome is located very nearby. Anyway, I don't know much about this fountain but the FT hostel suggested I should visit the place. :p
Fontana del Tritone

My second destination was the Trinità dei Monti (aka The Spanish Steps). It is known as the widest staircase in Europe and has a total of 138 steps. Below the Spanish steps, there is a famous water fountain in the shape of an old boat aka Fontana della Barcaccia. These two spots are usually crowded with people. You can see couples sitting on the stairs, having good times; groups of people chatting and laughing everywhere; a crowd encircled the fountain where some were trying to take picture while some other were trying to fill their water bottles with the water from the fountain.
The Spanish Steps

The third destination was the Piazza del Popolo or People's Square. What interest me most about this square is because it used to be the starting point of the Via Flaminia. Via Flaminia is basically an ancient road (built around 200 BC) that connects Rome to the Adriatic sea cutting across the Northeast Apennines. Since I spent almost the first two weeks studying the geological formation of the Apennines in that region, I particularly have seen some of the ruins, such as the road and bridge of the Via Flaminia while in fields. So, I thought it's worth to visit and share a little bit about this famous ancient road that has played important roles in the development of the city of Rome.

Continuiamo! From the piazza, I then decided to walk back. Since I was very close to the Tevere river, I felt like walk across the Margherita bridge, took the stairs down and walked along the river. Felt like I was in East Timor, walking along the Malao river. Anyway, before reaching the hostel, I stop at another two more tourist attraction spots. They were the Piazza Colona and Fontana di Trevi. Again ,crowded with people. In fact, it was really hard to move around in the Piazza di Trevi.
From what I know, Fontana (Piazza) di Trevi (see video below) is one of famous fountain in the world and people believe that if you throw a coin into the fountain, you'll definitely come back to visit Rome again! Well, I guess I just missed my chance to come back to room cos I didn't have coin while I was there.Too bad!

So, I concluded my exploration of the city with Sunday Mass celebration at the Basilica of Santa Maria degli Angeli e dei Martiri. The Mass was celebrated in Spanish, and it was my first time to participate a mass in Spanish.

Guess that's it for now. Im so exhausted right now, gotta go to bed cos I'm leaving to Portugal tomorrow. :D
Ate depois!




No comments:

Post a Comment